Why to Study Chemical ?
The department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1997, conducts 4 years degree course in Engineering under affiliation to Berhampur University (upto 2006) and Biju Patnaik University of Technology (B.Tech programme w.e.f. 2003) having intake capacity 60. The course is designed by the University, and aimed at making the students well versed with the recent trends as well as the basics of Chemical Engineering. The Department has been accredited thrice by the National Board of Accreditation. The Chemical Engineering Department’s strength lies in a highly experienced and celebrated team of professors drawn from premier technological institutions of the country. There are a number of laboratories with state – of – the -art machinery, sophisticated equipment and apparatus to elevate the image of the Department and the institution as a whole.
Roll of Honour
- Sabyasachi Mall was awarded as University Gold Medallist from BU, Berhampur in 2002.
- B. Gangadhar was awarded as University Gold Medallist from BU, Berhampur in 2005.
- Sambit Routray was awarded as University Gold Medallist from BPUT, Rourkela in 2008.
- Miss Rojalin Biswal was awarded as University Gold Medallist from BPUT, Rourkela in 2012.
- Sudam Sahu was awarded as University Gold Medallist from BPUT, Rourkela in 2014.
|PARTICULARS||I -sem||3rd-sem/5th sem/7th –sem||WEEKS|
|2||Ist spell of instructions||6/8/18 to 29/10/18||2/7/18-25/8/18||8|
|3||Mid Semester I||4/10/18 to 6/10/18||28/8/18- 30/8/18||3(days)|
|4||Mid Semester I Result||11/10/18||4/9/18|
|5||2st spell of instructions||8/12/18||31/8/18 -07/11/18||8|
|6||Mid Semester II||6/12/18 to 8/12/18||08/11/18 -10/11/18||3(days)|
|7||Mid Semester II Result||13/12/18||14/11/18|
|8||Practical Exams||1/12/18 to 7/12/18||31/10/18 -07/11/18||1week|
|9||Last day of Instruction||8/12/2018||10/11/18|
|10||University Theory Exams||17/12/18to08/12/18||17/11/18-07/12/18||3weeks|
|11||Semester break||29/12/18 to 06/01/19||23/12/18 to 2/01/19|
|12||Publication of Result||23/12/2018|
|13||Reopening &Starting Date of Instruction||07/01/2019||03/01/2019|
- Department has following Laboratories
- Mechanical Operations Laboratory
- Chemical Technology Laboratory
- Fuel Technology Laboratory
- Heat Transfer Laboratory
- Mass Transfer Laboratory
- Chemical Reaction Engineering Laboratory
- Fluid Flow Laboratory
- Process Instrumentation and Control
- Research and Development Laboratory
- CAD/CAM Laboratory
|Sem.||Subject Code||Name of the Subject|
|3rd||BCHPC3030||Physical and Analytical Chemistry|
|3rd||BCHES3040||Object Oriented Programming Systems|
|3rd||BBSHS3062/ BMGHS3061||Environmental Engineering & Safety/ Engineering Economics & Costing|
- S K Bindhani presented a paper entitled “Ultrasonic studies on binary mixture of Propiophenone + Ethyl acetate at 303.15 – 313.15 K” in CHEMCON 2016 organized by Anna University & IIT, Chennai.
- K. Bindhani, a paper entitled “Molecular Interaction Studies on Pentan-1-ol (1) + Nitrobenzene (2) at temperatures of 303.15, 308.15 and 313.15 K” got published in proceeding of CHEMCON-2012.
GATE qualified student list
- Pawan Kumar Tiwary, qualified GATE, 2016, having rank 477
- Prachiprabha Pradhan, qualified GATE, 2014, having rank 1558
- Janmajaya Mohapatra, qualified GATE, 2012, having rank 876
- Vishal Kumar Sandwar, qualified GATE, 2012, having rank 1180
- Amrut Pattnaik published two books “A Tryst with Hell” (2013) and “The Horror Nights” (2014).
Prize awarded in event
- Asharani Patra got Second prize in CHEMSTORM organized by IIchE Student chapter, IGIT, Sarang 13th-14th Oct, 2015.
- Sarthak Panda got First prize in Student Conference at XPLORA2K12 organized by Centurian University, 2012.
- Sarthak Panda got First prize in Poster Presentation at XPLORA2K12 organized by Centurian University, 2012.
- Amitabh Sarangi, Manish, Munmi Das & Bhabani Sankar Mallick got third prize in Synergy Design at Azeotropy 2k10 organized by ChEA, IIT, Bombay on 6th-7th March, 2010.
- Ravi Kumar presented a paper at WISSENAIRE 14 conducted by IIT, Bhubaneswar in 2014.
- Zeeshan Mallick presented a paper at Khistij 2014 conducted by IIT, Kharagpur in 2014.
- Asutosh Pattnaik & Pramod Kumar Bag presented a paper entitled “Removal of oxygen from carbon dioxide” at SCHEMCON-2017 organized by IIChE Student’s Chapter, Rourkela Regional Centre and Department of Chemical Engg., at NIT, Rourkela on 7-8 October 2017 & got published in preceding.
- TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING AND MINERAL PROCESSING, BHUBANESWAR held on 12th &13th September, 2015, organized by The Institution of Engineers (India), Odisha State Center and partly sponsored by Gandhi Institute of Engineering and Technolgy, Gunupur. The following students are rewarded in poster presentation.
First prize: The poster titled “Preparation of Adhessives from Tamrind seeds” has been presented by Abhilash Thakur.
Second prize: The poster titled “Exploration of utilizing structural bamboo FRP composites for housing purposes” has been presented by Sumeet Sahu, Ophelia Mundu, M.Abhilash and Hitesh Mahajan.
Third prize: The poster titled “Treatment of Dairy Waste water using orange and banana pills” have been presented by Amar Pratap Singh and Prinka Rani Nayak.
- Rahul Ranjan, Manav Kumar, Harshad Kuar & Mrinal Shekhar won the First prize at INNOVA 2k16 organized by Jadavpur University.
ISTE student Chapter
IIchE student Chapter
Chemical Engineering Students’ Association (CESA) took birth in the year 2003 with the noble objective of providing an intellectual platform for all-round development of students of the department. It functions in an environment of fellow-feeling and brotherhood. CESA now has a membership consisting of 162 students from second, third and final year students.
Activities undertaken by CESA are as follows:
National and International level Seminars & Conferences.
Mock Interviews for Personality Development.
Technical Quiz to enhance students’ subject expertise.
Debate, Essay-writing etc. to bring out the latent creative talent in them.
Student welfare funding