Why to Study Chemical ?
The department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1997, conducts 4 years degree course in Engineering under affiliation to Berhampur University (upto 2006) and Biju Patnaik University of Technology (B.Tech programme w.e.f. 2003) having intake capacity 60. The course is designed by the University, and aimed at making the students well versed with the recent trends as well as the basics of Chemical Engineering. The Department has been accredited thrice by the National Board of Accreditation. The Chemical Engineering Department’s strength lies in a highly experienced and celebrated team of professors drawn from premier technological institutions of the country. There are a number of laboratories with state – of – the -art machinery, sophisticated equipment and apparatus to elevate the image of the Department and the institution as a whole.
Conferences, Workshops, FDP, Guest Lectures etc..
A National Level Student Seminar on “Sustainable Urbanization through Energy and Resource Conservation” was conducted on 6th and 7th September 2014.
A Workshop on “Recent development on Polymer Technology” was conducted on 13th to 15th Feb 2015.
A Short term course on “Plant Design in Alumina Refinery” was conducted on 7th to 8th March 2015.
A National seminar on “Environmental pollution and protection: issues and challenges” was conducted on 9th to 11th Oct. 2015.
A Workshop on “Chemical Process Simulation using ASPEN Plus” was conducted on 18th to 21st Sept 2016.
A Student level seminar on “Ideas and Innovation on recent development on chemical Engineering” was conducted on 5th to 6th Aug 2017.
A Workshop on “Nano Science and Polymer Science” was conducted on 15th to 16th September 2017.
A Faculty Development Programme on “Latest trends in Chemical Engineering Research” was conducted on 6th Jan, 2018.
A National seminar on “Conversion of Biomass to fuel” was conducted on 3rd to 4th March, 2018.
|PARTICULARS||I -sem||3rd-sem/5th sem/7th –sem||WEEKS|
|2||Ist spell of instructions||6/8/18 to 29/10/18||2/7/18-25/8/18||8|
|3||Mid Semester I||4/10/18 to 6/10/18||28/8/18- 30/8/18||3(days)|
|4||Mid Semester I Result||11/10/18||4/9/18|
|5||2st spell of instructions||8/12/18||31/8/18 -07/11/18||8|
|6||Mid Semester II||6/12/18 to 8/12/18||08/11/18 -10/11/18||3(days)|
|7||Mid Semester II Result||13/12/18||14/11/18|
|8||Practical Exams||1/12/18 to 7/12/18||31/10/18 -07/11/18||1week|
|9||Last day of Instruction||8/12/2018||10/11/18|
|10||University Theory Exams||17/12/18to08/12/18||17/11/18-07/12/18||3weeks|
|11||Semester break||29/12/18 to 06/01/19||23/12/18 to 2/01/19|
|12||Publication of Result||23/12/2018|
|13||Reopening &Starting Date of Instruction||07/01/2019||03/01/2019|
- Department has following Laboratories
- Mechanical Operations Laboratory
- Chemical Technology Laboratory
- Fuel Technology Laboratory
- Heat Transfer Laboratory
- Mass Transfer Laboratory
- Chemical Reaction Engineering Laboratory
- Fluid Flow Laboratory
- Process Instrumentation and Control
- Research and Development Laboratory
- CAD/CAM Laboratory
|Sem.||Subject Code||Name of the Subject|
|3rd||BCHPC3030||Physical and Analytical Chemistry|
|3rd||BCHES3040||Object Oriented Programming Systems|
|3rd||BBSHS3062/ BMGHS3061||Environmental Engineering & Safety/ Engineering Economics & Costing|
- S K Bindhani presented a paper entitled “Ultrasonic studies on binary mixture of Propiophenone + Ethyl acetate at 303.15 – 313.15 K” in CHEMCON 2016 organized by Anna University & IIT, Chennai.
- K. Bindhani, a paper entitled “Molecular Interaction Studies on Pentan-1-ol (1) + Nitrobenzene (2) at temperatures of 303.15, 308.15 and 313.15 K” got published in proceeding of CHEMCON-2012.
GATE qualified student list
- Pawan Kumar Tiwary, qualified GATE, 2016, having rank 477
- Prachiprabha Pradhan, qualified GATE, 2014, having rank 1558
- Janmajaya Mohapatra, qualified GATE, 2012, having rank 876
- Vishal Kumar Sandwar, qualified GATE, 2012, having rank 1180
- Amrut Pattnaik published two books “A Tryst with Hell” (2013) and “The Horror Nights” (2014).
Prize awarded in event
- Asharani Patra got Second prize in CHEMSTORM organized by IIchE Student chapter, IGIT, Sarang 13th-14th Oct, 2015.
- Sarthak Panda got First prize in Student Conference at XPLORA2K12 organized by Centurian University, 2012.
- Sarthak Panda got First prize in Poster Presentation at XPLORA2K12 organized by Centurian University, 2012.
- Amitabh Sarangi, Manish, Munmi Das & Bhabani Sankar Mallick got third prize in Synergy Design at Azeotropy 2k10 organized by ChEA, IIT, Bombay on 6th-7th March, 2010.
- Ravi Kumar presented a paper at WISSENAIRE 14 conducted by IIT, Bhubaneswar in 2014.
- Zeeshan Mallick presented a paper at Khistij 2014 conducted by IIT, Kharagpur in 2014.
- Asutosh Pattnaik & Pramod Kumar Bag presented a paper entitled “Removal of oxygen from carbon dioxide” at SCHEMCON-2017 organized by IIChE Student’s Chapter, Rourkela Regional Centre and Department of Chemical Engg., at NIT, Rourkela on 7-8 October 2017 & got published in preceding.
- TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING AND MINERAL PROCESSING, BHUBANESWAR held on 12th &13th September, 2015, organized by The Institution of Engineers (India), Odisha State Center and partly sponsored by Gandhi Institute of Engineering and Technolgy, Gunupur. The following students are rewarded in poster presentation.
First prize: The poster titled “Preparation of Adhessives from Tamrind seeds” has been presented by Abhilash Thakur.
Second prize: The poster titled “Exploration of utilizing structural bamboo FRP composites for housing purposes” has been presented by Sumeet Sahu, Ophelia Mundu, M.Abhilash and Hitesh Mahajan.
Third prize: The poster titled “Treatment of Dairy Waste water using orange and banana pills” have been presented by Amar Pratap Singh and Prinka Rani Nayak.
- Rahul Ranjan, Manav Kumar, Harshad Kuar & Mrinal Shekhar won the First prize at INNOVA 2k16 organized by Jadavpur University.
ISTE student Chapter
IIchE student Chapter
Chemical Engineering Students’ Association (CESA) took birth in the year 2003 with the noble objective of providing an intellectual platform for all-round development of students of the department. It functions in an environment of fellow-feeling and brotherhood. CESA now has a membership consisting of 162 students from second, third and final year students.
Activities undertaken by CESA are as follows:
National and International level Seminars & Conferences.
Mock Interviews for Personality Development.
Technical Quiz to enhance students’ subject expertise.
Debate, Essay-writing etc. to bring out the latent creative talent in them.
Student welfare funding