Why to Study Chemical ?
The department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1997, conducts 4 years degree course in Engineering under affiliation to Berhampur University (upto 2006) and Biju Patnaik University of Technology (B.Tech programme w.e.f. 2003) having intake capacity 60. The course is designed by the University, and aimed at making the students well versed with the recent trends as well as the basics of Chemical Engineering. The Department has been accredited thrice by the National Board of Accreditation. The Chemical Engineering Department’s strength lies in a highly experienced and celebrated team of professors drawn from premier technological institutions of the country. There are a number of laboratories with state – of – the -art machinery, sophisticated equipment and apparatus to elevate the image of the Department and the institution as a whole.
- T K Dora et al. “Contribution of hot spring bacterial consortium in cadmium and lead bioremediation through quadratic programming model” in Journal of Hazardous Material , Elsevier, 265, 2014; page on: 47-60
- S K Bindhani, Y K Mohanty , G K Roy & R. Kubendran “Effect of temperature and concentration on density, viscosity and ultrasonic velocity of binary liquid mixture: Pentan-1-ol (1)+Nitrobenzene (2)” in Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry (Spinger), Vol. 88 No 7, 2014, page no: 1255-1264
- Tapas Kumar Dora “Thermostable alpha-amylase enzyme production from hotspring isolates Alcaligenes faecalis SSB17 – Statistical optimization” in Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, Elsevier, Volume 3, Issue 4, October 2014, page no: 218-226
- Suman Mishra and Mr. D. K. Samal “Hydrodynamic study of multi-phase semifluidization with ternary mixtures of activated alumina beads” in International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology, vol 5(1), Jan, 2015, page no: 37-42
- Tapas Kumar Dora “Prediction of Pressure Drop and Holdup for Homogeneous Ternary Mixtures of Spherical Glass Bead Particles in a Three-Phase Fluidized Bed” in Chemical Engineering Communications (Taylor Francis), Vol. 202, 2015, page no: 765-773
- S K Bindhani, Y K Mohanty , G K Roy & R. Kubendran “Thermo-Physical Properties for the Binary System of propiophenone –Methyl Acetate at 303.15-313.15 K” in Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry (Spinger), Vol. 89 No 10, 2015, page no: 1828-1837
- Uma Sankar Behera, P.Sibakrishna, “A Review on Synthesis of Silver Nano Particles from Plant Extract of Leaves: An Ecofriendly Method” in Int J. Innovative trends in Engg, Vol.12, No 2, 2015, page no: 68
- S. Behera and P. Sibakrishna “Synthesized By A Flow Rate Controlled Chemical” in International Journal of Innovative Trend in Engineering, vol 12(18), Dec 2015, page no: 68-73.
- K.Samal. Y.K.Mohanty, G.K.Roy, M.Kumar, etal “Hydrodynamic of two stage liq-solid semi-fluidization” in Int J Engg Sc & Research Technology, 2016, page no: 586
- R K Padhi , D.T.K.Dora and Y.K.Mohanty, “Hydrodynamics of three-phase fluidization of homogeneous ternary mixture in a conical conduit-Experimental and statistical analysis” Chinese Journal of Chemical Engineering, ELSEVIER,Vol-24,2016, page no. 1335-1343.
- R K Padhi , D.T.K.Dora and Y.K.Mohanty,” Prediction of bed pressure drop ,fluctuation and expansion ratio for three-phase fluidization of ternary mixture of dolomite in a conical conduit” Cogent Engineering,vol-3,Taylor and Francis,2016, page no.1-20.
- Suman Mishra, Ansuman Nayak “An Experimental study on removal of COD and BOD from Dairy waste water using GAC-An economical approach” in VSRD Int J Mech, Civil, Automobile and production enng, vol 6 issue 11, 2016, page no: 293
- S.Behera, P.Sibakrishna, T.K.dora & G.K.Roy “Advanced Oxidation processes (AOPs) for the treatment of textile industry waste water- a review” in Institute of Public Health Engineer, India, 2016, page no: 33-48.
- K.Samal, Y.K.Mohanty, G.K.Roy “Study on multi stage liquid-solid semi-fluidization with spherical particles”, Int J. Advanced Research and development, 2016, page no: 15-20
- Uma Sankar Behera, Suman Mishra, P. Sibakrishna & Prof. G. K. Roy “The statistical comparative study for fly ash utilization in current scenario of India : The wide range of economical approach” in Journal of the Institution of Public Health Engineers, India, Volume XXXXV(1), 2017, page no: 36
- S K Bindhani, Y K Mohanty & G K Roy,”Effect of Composition and Temperature on Viscosity ,Ultrasound velocity and Refractive index of Propiophenone-Benzyl Acetate Binary Mixture at 303.15-323.15 K” Russian Journal of Physical Chemistry (Spinger), Vol. 91 No 06, 2017, page no. 1037-1044.
|PARTICULARS||I -sem||3rd-sem/5th sem/7th –sem||WEEKS|
|2||Ist spell of instructions||6/8/18 to 29/10/18||2/7/18-25/8/18||8|
|3||Mid Semester I||4/10/18 to 6/10/18||28/8/18- 30/8/18||3(days)|
|4||Mid Semester I Result||11/10/18||4/9/18|
|5||2st spell of instructions||8/12/18||31/8/18 -07/11/18||8|
|6||Mid Semester II||6/12/18 to 8/12/18||08/11/18 -10/11/18||3(days)|
|7||Mid Semester II Result||13/12/18||14/11/18|
|8||Practical Exams||1/12/18 to 7/12/18||31/10/18 -07/11/18||1week|
|9||Last day of Instruction||8/12/2018||10/11/18|
|10||University Theory Exams||17/12/18to08/12/18||17/11/18-07/12/18||3weeks|
|11||Semester break||29/12/18 to 06/01/19||23/12/18 to 2/01/19|
|12||Publication of Result||23/12/2018|
|13||Reopening &Starting Date of Instruction||07/01/2019||03/01/2019|
- Department has following Laboratories
- Mechanical Operations Laboratory
- Chemical Technology Laboratory
- Fuel Technology Laboratory
- Heat Transfer Laboratory
- Mass Transfer Laboratory
- Chemical Reaction Engineering Laboratory
- Fluid Flow Laboratory
- Process Instrumentation and Control
- Research and Development Laboratory
- CAD/CAM Laboratory
|Sem.||Subject Code||Name of the Subject|
|3rd||BCHPC3030||Physical and Analytical Chemistry|
|3rd||BCHES3040||Object Oriented Programming Systems|
|3rd||BBSHS3062/ BMGHS3061||Environmental Engineering & Safety/ Engineering Economics & Costing|
- S K Bindhani presented a paper entitled “Ultrasonic studies on binary mixture of Propiophenone + Ethyl acetate at 303.15 – 313.15 K” in CHEMCON 2016 organized by Anna University & IIT, Chennai.
- K. Bindhani, a paper entitled “Molecular Interaction Studies on Pentan-1-ol (1) + Nitrobenzene (2) at temperatures of 303.15, 308.15 and 313.15 K” got published in proceeding of CHEMCON-2012.
GATE qualified student list
- Pawan Kumar Tiwary, qualified GATE, 2016, having rank 477
- Prachiprabha Pradhan, qualified GATE, 2014, having rank 1558
- Janmajaya Mohapatra, qualified GATE, 2012, having rank 876
- Vishal Kumar Sandwar, qualified GATE, 2012, having rank 1180
- Amrut Pattnaik published two books “A Tryst with Hell” (2013) and “The Horror Nights” (2014).
Prize awarded in event
- Asharani Patra got Second prize in CHEMSTORM organized by IIchE Student chapter, IGIT, Sarang 13th-14th Oct, 2015.
- Sarthak Panda got First prize in Student Conference at XPLORA2K12 organized by Centurian University, 2012.
- Sarthak Panda got First prize in Poster Presentation at XPLORA2K12 organized by Centurian University, 2012.
- Amitabh Sarangi, Manish, Munmi Das & Bhabani Sankar Mallick got third prize in Synergy Design at Azeotropy 2k10 organized by ChEA, IIT, Bombay on 6th-7th March, 2010.
- Ravi Kumar presented a paper at WISSENAIRE 14 conducted by IIT, Bhubaneswar in 2014.
- Zeeshan Mallick presented a paper at Khistij 2014 conducted by IIT, Kharagpur in 2014.
- Asutosh Pattnaik & Pramod Kumar Bag presented a paper entitled “Removal of oxygen from carbon dioxide” at SCHEMCON-2017 organized by IIChE Student’s Chapter, Rourkela Regional Centre and Department of Chemical Engg., at NIT, Rourkela on 7-8 October 2017 & got published in preceding.
- TECHNOLOGICAL ADVANCEMENT IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING AND MINERAL PROCESSING, BHUBANESWAR held on 12th &13th September, 2015, organized by The Institution of Engineers (India), Odisha State Center and partly sponsored by Gandhi Institute of Engineering and Technolgy, Gunupur. The following students are rewarded in poster presentation.
First prize: The poster titled “Preparation of Adhessives from Tamrind seeds” has been presented by Abhilash Thakur.
Second prize: The poster titled “Exploration of utilizing structural bamboo FRP composites for housing purposes” has been presented by Sumeet Sahu, Ophelia Mundu, M.Abhilash and Hitesh Mahajan.
Third prize: The poster titled “Treatment of Dairy Waste water using orange and banana pills” have been presented by Amar Pratap Singh and Prinka Rani Nayak.
- Rahul Ranjan, Manav Kumar, Harshad Kuar & Mrinal Shekhar won the First prize at INNOVA 2k16 organized by Jadavpur University.
ISTE student Chapter
IIchE student Chapter
Chemical Engineering Students’ Association (CESA) took birth in the year 2003 with the noble objective of providing an intellectual platform for all-round development of students of the department. It functions in an environment of fellow-feeling and brotherhood. CESA now has a membership consisting of 162 students from second, third and final year students.
Activities undertaken by CESA are as follows:
National and International level Seminars & Conferences.
Mock Interviews for Personality Development.
Technical Quiz to enhance students’ subject expertise.
Debate, Essay-writing etc. to bring out the latent creative talent in them.
Student welfare funding